Modern Religious Experience: Personal Commemoration- Reflection #7
Modern Religious Experience: Personal Commemoration- Reflection #7: "Think of an event in your life- past, present or future. You are going to create a commemorative ritual for this event. First, describe the ..."
Approximately six years ago, when I first came to Korea, my family took me to the burials of my ancestors. This was because they wanted to introduce my family history and background to me. The day before the big day, I would help my mom prepare the food we were to bring to our ancestors. The meal always consists of: three kinds of fruit, three kinds of seaweed, three kinds of nuts, three kinds of rice (Ricecake is mandatory), and alcohol. However, the most vital rule is: never give four of the same kind because ‘four’ literally translates to the word ‘death’ in Chinese characters. On the big day, our whole family would drive in two separate cars for about six hours to the countryside where my ancestors are buried. Since the burials are located at the top of the mountain, we have to climb a very steep terrain to the top. Once we reach the top, we bow down to our ancestors, provide the food, and talk about our family history. Although at the time, I didn’t speak Korean, I began to understand what Korean culture was all about – respecting our elders. After it was time to head back, we would bow down for the last time and head down. On the way to our car, we would occasionally stop by at the neighbors’ houses to wish them a good and plentiful harvest. In return, they sometimes gave us rice. This event was very important to me because it was the first step I took towards living in a full Korean atmosphere.
Since this commemoration will last as long as I live, and there will be times when I won’t be able to greet my ancestors, I will do so by greeting them in my mind when it is the right time. In my mind, I will tell them, “Oh great ancestors of the Parks, thank you for bringing my family into this beautiful world. I greatly honor you with all my respect. I apologize for not being able to be there with you today and I hope that you are spending a wonderful time with my family.” Although this is just an outline, it includes the three most important things I would always tell my ancestors: thank you, sorry, and rest in peace. During this time, I will turn off all electronics and make sure that I am in an appropriate state to communicate with my ancestors, perhaps similar to that of a meditative one. Because this event is done approximately two times a year (depending on the Chinese year; ex. Pig year, dragon year), I will make sure with my parents that I pray on the right day when I am not able to go to the burials.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home